To our Supergoop! community,
We are heartbroken by the inexcusable killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and too many Black men, women and children before them. We have stood in solidarity with those who are speaking up and taking action against racism, inequality, injustice and brutality. But stating it is not enough. Now it is time for us to do more.
One of our brand pillars is “We are teachers and we are students,” and this past week we have paused to reflect and be students. We have been listening and learning, and we know we still have a long way to go. But what is familiar for us is that our brand is built on the idea of change and that change takes time, persistence and a willingness to act. So we know that it is our responsibility and our obligation to figure out how to use our capabilities to concretely help move forward towards an anti-racist country.
We have started by making a financial commitment to the NAACP Empowerment Programs. We chose this organization because of the shared belief that change comes through education. We also know that a check is not enough — now the work begins. We’ve always believed in SPF for everyone, everywhere and it’s time to continue on our mission with renewed focus and a more passionate commitment than ever to the following:
- We will continue to ensure that the products we create are driven by our mission of SPF for ALL, by including diverse voices in our product development process. Skin cancer does not discriminate, and inclusive SPF will always be at the heart and soul of what we do.
- We will ensure that how we educate and share our message reflects our belief via the inclusion of Black women and men in our content.
- We will represent and amplify Black voices in who we partner and collaborate with in our brand messaging.
- We will make sure that our donations and education through our Ounce by Ounce giving initiative reach Black communities.
- We will work across our distribution and supply chains to do business with those who share common values, and create economic opportunities for Black-owned businesses.
- We recognize our internal team does not adequately reflect the people we serve. Two out of our 39 team members are Black. We will be looking at our hiring efforts to build a more diverse family internally, which will only make us a stronger company longer term.
As a team we’ve always believed in getting better, and we know this is just the beginning. We are committed to being a part of the solution, every.single.day.
Holly & the Supergoop! team